Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 July 2014

A long day.

We have just got back after a full day out. My friends the American couple asked if I could take them out today so we set off just after 1000. It was slow going at first whilst he gained confidence in steering and it wasn't too long before we weren't going going to tick over to go through bridge holes. We managed the two swing bridge before Foxton without too much trouble and ended up in a queue of three boats waiting to go up. They were all hire boats too. The first had a group of lads aboard that had the confidence of youth and plenty of hands. The other was a young family with tow lads. When the first boat entered the lock I was expecting the second to move off to get ready to work the bottom lock but nothing happened. I went over to see what was what to find the mother a nervous wreck about it all. They had left Market Harborough that morning. The husband had got stuck the other side of the swing bridge. I said that I would help them through the first lock and talk them through it. She was more worried about the kids getting in trouble though. Once they were on their way we set of and we got in the lock with out too much of a bang and we were off on the way up. They soon got into the swing of things and the wife was out helping open and close gates despite a poorly ankle. All was going well until we got to the passing pound and then I was thrown by the red and white paddles and had to stop and think about it

Looking up Foxton Locks with the red and white paddles. The red paddle opens the connection between the adjacent side pound and the white paddle either lets the full lock empty into it or an empty lock fill from it. (At least that is how I think of it).

There were loads of people wandering around Foxton and it was fun listening to the various ideas that folk had to how they work and why this was done etc etc. When we were near the top two very drunk lads staggered up the hill from the pubs at the bottom. They were literally holding each other up. I was hoping that they wouldn't be on a boat coming down and joked with the volunteer look keeper. They weren't coming down the lock. They had a day boat from North Kilworth and were just setting off back there. By the time we had cleared the lock and headed to the first bridge we came across them just at the bridge hole with our drunk hanging on on the side trying not to fall in. He didn't succeed and in he went. We was so drunk he was in a panic and it took some time to convince him to stand up. He was so fat and drunk that he couldn't pull himself inboard and all his mates were almost as drunk. I thought the boat was on fire to add to the mess but no, they had a barbeque going inside the boat on the stove top. Me and another guy managed to get them to hang a rope over the side for him to get a foot in. They kept wanting to start the engine but thankfully they didn't. Eventually we got him inboard, but when I asked if there was anybody sober nobody answered. I'm glad it isn't me that will have to clean the boat up. The excuse was that it was a stag night with the lad who fell in tying the knot on Friday. I wonder what the Hen party did?

Narrowboat on fire
I had visions of this happening on the day boat.

Eventually they moved off and the other group of sober lads on the boat that we followed up the locks set off at glacial speed. Eventually we came to the first winding hole and turned round. We last saw the drunks seeming to be trying to roll the boat over as they were all hanging off one side and a list on a narrow boat that I have never seen before! We had better speed back and were first in the queue for going down. I explained to the Lock Keeper about the Americans hiring the boat and not being able to go anywhere and he turned a blind eye for us. As we were waiting to go down a single hander arrived and was to follow us down.

The view from the top of the Foxton Locks.

I set our boat of and did a few locks when the Volunteer lock keeper arrived so I went back to help the single hander down. We got down fairly quickly and my American friend did a good job of passing a boat half way down. I chatted to several families that were fascinated by it all and got them to help with the gates etc. We pooped out at the bottom and and found a spot just before the swing bridge, tied up and went off for tea at the Foxton Locks pub. I worked the swing bridge twice for people arriving before I got my first pint. It has been a very pleasant day yarning to somebody who hasn't heard all of my stories before and learning all about their lives. IT was almost 2000 when we left the pub and I realised that it would be almost dark by the time we got back to Union Wharf. Luckily the confidence was great and the helmsman did a great job at a good speed and we arrived back on the stroke of 2200 so still light for him to swing the boat and back in to a mooring perfectly. I am glad that I was able to help them go away with a good feeling about the canals, and England, but somehow I don't think they will be going narrow boating again. Macy the cat thought her throat had been cut and after 12 hours and more than twenty locks I'm pretty sure I will sleep well.

Foxton Locks Inn.

No comments: