Total Pageviews

Friday 18 July 2014

Need to be moving.

It feels like I am back in Singapore  today, but with no air conditioning. Luckily this morning (and about  3 in the morning) we had thunder and rain. Whilst  it was cooler I did the ironing and got that out of the way. I enjoyed listening to Radio 4 whilst I was doing it so the pile seemed to quickly go down. There was a big turn round or boats for the hire company today but they seemed to manage well. There are only two left in the basin tonight and they may go in the morning. It is striking how many Americans seem to hire here. I wonder what the international breakdown of hirers nation wide is? Judging by people looking in to this blog there are a lot interested in the canal in the USA, and of course there are a lot  of them too. I haven't seen any Far Eastern or Asians on the cut. I wonder why they don't try it out. I would have thought that the canal folk would have been as welcoming  to them as any others. You don't see them in the outdoors walking so much either.

There was a wedding party at the Waterfront Restaurant at the head of the basin this lunch time. The trip boat from Foxton, 'Vagabond II' came up and  took a party away. I thought that they could have made more of an effort  of decorating the vessel. It isn't the prettiest of craft to begin  with. This evening I have been listening to jazz coming from the restaurant too. I assume the party has gone on upstairs for somebody else so it has been nice to sit outside with a beer and listen. Not one of theirs though  as I would have to sell my first born for one, and they don't do draught!

Waterfront Restaurant.

I have polished all the wood in the boat. I have taken up all the rugs, beaten them and cleaned them and scrubbed the floor beneath them and done a through job of the bathroom. If it wasn't so hot I would be tempted not to have a shower in the morning to keep it nice, but I will just do it again I think. The town seemed a littyle crowded as there is an Austin Owners Club Rally at the Rugby Club here over the weekend. And a few miles down the road at Kilmarsh Hall there is a re-enactment weekend where societies will be reliving battles from the Romans, Anglo Saxons, Napoleonic and both World Wars on show. I bet there are some good photographic opportunities in that lot.

Austin Owners Club Rally.

Anglo Saxons getting in some exercise.

As it started to cool down I went off into town to get a bit of shopping as they are open until 2200. In Market Marborough you are spoiled for  choice as there is Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Lidl, Aldi, Co-op and Tesco of varying size. I have been trying to get the heavy and basic  items and then we can get fresh and  menu stuff tomorrow. I must admit I can't wait to get away now. Even if it is chucking it down it will be warm enough to stand outside in next to nothing so there will be  no delay.

IMG_0285
Borrowed from NB Seyella's blog pages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony you seem to have kept yoursef busy whilst on your own. It'll be nice for helen to come back and have no housework to do, you're very good at that and 'the ironing'!
Wish we were down there this week-end, Jon would love the rally and Will would love the other. Abi has a flat now in Huntingdon which is only half an hour away from Market Harborough, so looking forward to afternoon tea there as Helen says how lovely the town is.
Hopefully when we pop to see her one week-end we'll see how close you and Helen are and call in.
See you soon Heather