Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 September 2014

An anchor is quite useful!

Very sorry for the late post. It was a very long day and we got back to the boat late. This blog is to cover Tuesday 9th September.

Helen and Amy decided that they would go into town for a bit of women's therapy. I had volunteered to go down to Limehouse with another vessel that couldn't wait for the delays at Hanwell Locks. I pottered about until about 1400 when we started moving down to Thames Lock. There we met a friend of Adrian's. We were let out of the lock about 1500 on a beautiful day. The tide was against us but we seemed to be making good headway.

The tide was coming on to springs so some of the paths and pavements along the Thames were submerged.

We had a good trip down with some good conversation and idle banter. We had to be at Limehouse before 1800 and we were easily going to make it on time. It was quiet on the river and as we passed the Police Pier I pointed out the entrance to Limehouse and said that we would be there shortly. With that breath the engine stopped! We looked at each other and then I looked at the throttle to check that that hadn't been knocked. We then lifted the engine hatch and found.... there was water two thirds up the engine!! I asked if he had a pump and he went to get that and as we were about two hours after high water we were being  driven down river rather rapidly. I went to the bow and lowered the anchor into the water. It seemed to take ages to bite but it did and held us steady in a could safe location. By the time I got back to the stern the pump was in action and seemed to lowering the level. I contacted London VTS and told them our situation and said that I would keep them informed by  what we found. The level continued to drop but as none of us were engines we thought that if water had got into the engine and we started it it may shatter the engine as water can not be compressed! We therefore asked for a two and eventually a PLA Launch 'Lambeth' came alongside and took us the half mile to the pontoon outside the lock at Limehouse.

Our narrow boat hipped up alongside 'Lambeth' on the way to safety.

Once alongside and after thanking the launch crew for their help, we continued to empty the water out of the compartment. There appeared to be no ingress as the level did not go up when we stopped. When I checked the weed hatch I  could only get one half turn on it but I have a feeling that the water came in there as the swell and the higher than normal revs. may  have forced water through a poor seal. I couldn't see anything else. The Captain decided to give the engine a try and after a few turns it took and started. That would save him a great deal of money and delays. I left them on the pontoon after an exciting end to the trip and went to find my girls.

I met them on Regent's Street and as we had a meal at Bella Italia I was told of their day. They went to Buckingham House to see booking a ticket but found that they could go straight in. They had three hours to soak up the place and were well impressed. My fear is that she will have some decorating for  me this winter. They then went off to the shops and each had a couple of bags with them and big smiles on their faces. By the time we had caught the tube and bus back to Brentwood it was gone 2230 so I didn't write the blog. In fact when I woke up this morning I found that I had left the hatch open!

1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I commented on your later post and hadn't read this one, Tony - a truly adventurous time! More stress than I would be happy with, I have to say. Well done, you - I am sure you were a tower of calm and commonsense throughout.
Helen, I am pleased you had a good day sightseeing and shopping. I think you should now set your mind to the re-decorating that should be on Tony's list over the winter. He clearly is keen to get stuck in, and after all, he's been busy every day while on the boat, and you know what happens to older men when they slow down ... Big hugs, M&D xox