Total Pageviews

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Maintenance and Thames pictures.

I started the day with a little lay in. I needed it as I didn't sleep very well as Helen is at home and I am in a different part of the bed, but mainly due to the trains going past at all hours! I reckon if you are going to moor in Berkhamsted it would be better to do so down past the two locks. There are pubs there but they will finish later and I reckon that you would be a bit better shielded from the trains. The rail line accompanies the canal for about thirteen miles.

Once I did surface I thought I would get on with an oil change as that was due. I got everything ready but when I got the oil filter I realised that it was a fuel filter instead. I had started so I decided to change the gear box oil any way as this is the hardest part. I opened the filler nut, that incorporates the dip stick which I can never read as you can't see any level on it for some reason, and inserted the little hand pump I had. I was advised to fit a little metal end piece to the little hose that is needed to push down into the bottom of the gear box. This will then prevent the hose closing up when the pump is used so preventing oil passing. I hadn't found the right bit of tubing so I used the large bore hose and  pumped out as much as I could. I then put a drip tray under the sump nut and opened it. Not too much came out and I was able to take it out from the small space with out spilling any. After replacing the nut I then filled it with 15W40 oil. The manual says 1.4 ltrs but as I couldn't see it on the dipstick I seem to have put a little more in.

Whilst I was down in the engine hole I decided to clean up the water that had got in the area below the engine. I assume that this was from some  waves that we had had come aboard when we made our Brentford to Limehouse passage. I had checked and can not see water coming from anywhere else. I used some cheap nappies that we had and they did a good  job of mopping up the water and  the small bit of oil and or grease that was there also. I also removed the leaves and other debris that has collected down there. It all looks spick and span now.

I forget to take any photos of my work today so will have to find something to put on the blog. I did order some more filters though. To save postage I decided to buy next years too. I have used IN Line Filters as they are very good at delivery and the price of their items is very competitive. I ordered them at 1230 and I had an email from them at 1600 saying they were on their way. Helen will be pleased to hear that she can bring the lub oil one when she comes back on Saturday.

After lunch I started the job I hate the most, sanding down rust spots ready for painting. The area of the semi trad. 'enclosure gets little dinks and scratches as it has the most traffic and with things like moorings pins etc in and out of lockers the chances are slim in keeping it pristine. My poor old arthritic fingers don't like being  held on a small piece of emery paper but needs must. I cleaned out the dust and debris from the channels around the engine hole and set to doing the st'bd side. It isn't easy to sand down each little rust spot so that the dent in the paint is level and wont be seen and I have no doubt my patience, or lack of it will mean that it wont be blemish free. By the time 1700 came along I had finished the base areas and most of the rest of it. I had then gone round with so rust converter to treat and remaining rust and to cap the bear metal over night. provided there is no rain tomorrow I will finish the rust spots, then rub down all the paintwork in the area and apply an undercoat. When I have got all the area ready I will then be able to complete a top coat of green with a roller and brush in one go so as not to waste paint and rollers etc. That's the plan anyway.

For something to look at I will put some unseen photos from our Thames trips.

Tony pretending to be a pilot with the O2 in the background.

These boats zoom up and down giving their passengers a thrill and us a bounce about.

Building seems mto be going on all over the capital. I previous years it seemed to be offices that were being built, now it seems to be apartments.

The Shard. Impressive by it's sheer scale compared with the rest of the skyline.

St Paul's just peeping over the newer buildings.

The Walkie Talkie to the left with it's curtain draped over the glass to prevent melting of cars.  The Cheese Grater in the middle and the Gherkin to the right. London's sky line is very distinctive, and ever changing.


No comments: