Total Pageviews

Friday 19 September 2014

More jobs off the list.

I was awoken at 0400 by the crack of doom. The longest peel of thunder I have heard in the UK rattled the windows and accompanied the rain that had been falling for a while. I half thought of turning the radio on to see if it had any connection to the referendum in Scotland but resisted. When the radio came on at 0630 I learned that the Union was safe for now. But what sort of a Union. There can only be one thing certain and that is the talk will continue for years to come. What ever comes out of it, and how ever they manage to satisfy all parties it was great to see so many people voting. If we can bring folk back to exercising their franchise and actually care what matters to them, their neighbours and the country, we should be deeply grateful to the Scots.

The weather forecast was not good and predicted showers, and that is what it looked like outside. It was therefore not a day for painting. Instead I put the engine on and did the ironing. Before you say anything Heather, ironing is quite therapeutic and gives you an excuse to listen to 'Womans' Hour'.

Afterwards I set to on a little task that I hoped would help save battery power. My idea was to cut a hole in the seat locker that is at the back of the fridge, next to the cooling grill. This should allow warm air into the seat locker so keeping the bedding in their aired and helping prevent condensation. It would also mean that the cooling of the fridge would be better and so the fridge more efficient and saving battery power. I'm not sure how I will measure it but as it cost me £2-50 for the louvre cover it has been a big out lay.

The dinette seat locker emptied and ready for work.

The contents replaced with the louvre vent in place.

After that I had a cup of tea and thought about what to do next! I had bought so draught excluder and decided to try that on the edge of the deck boards over the engine hole. I'm not sure if it will work but as it was very cheap, if it works I will be able to get some more robust seal that may help with noise elimination and prevent water getting into the space. We will see what happens.

Later in the afternoon the sun shone through a milky cloud cover and I even managed to sit outside reading with a cup of tea. Not something that  I normally get to do. 

I have had another email from Damian Kemp of C&RT about 'Boating Buddies'. They are wanting to know where we will be over the next month so they can pair us up with visitors from their offices. I will have to get the map books out and work out where we will be over the next month. Tomorrow will be taken up with a good thorough clean to welcome Helen back to the boat. I can't wait, for Helen to come back, not the cleaning that is. 

1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I like your idea of a vent into the bench seating, Tony, I think we will steal that idea for Waka Huia. Our fridge is right next to the calorifier and only has a small louvre vent on one side at the back. Opening it up into the seat back will be ideal! Well done, you!
I also want to fit some marine draught excluder stuff around our engine cover - the list for the last few days onboard for this year is expanding!
Say hi to Helen for us, M&D