Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 October 2014

Back aboard.

After a quick visit to say good bye to my Mum we were off to do a few jobs before catching my train. Hull station wasn't too busy and there was plenty of room on the train. There was a bit of a delay getting to Doncaster but I still had plenty of time as it was the same platform. My next stop was Birmingham New Street where there are major changes afoot. It is ages since I have been through here and I thought about joining my first few ships, starting from this station. We were there quickly to Rugby and there was my beautiful wife waiting for me. It didn't take us long to walk back to Clifton Cruisers. After a cup of tea and exchange of news I went to settle up and prep[are for getting underway. By the time we had winded in the arm and were heading back to Braunston it was about 1600. As we approached the the bottom Hillmorton lock a boat was leaving.

I couldn't think what this little building by the lock could be. It is probably a lock keepers shelter but I couldn't understand what the window with no roof was for. Was it a window for handing over dockets or stores or something like that.

At the middle lock Helen sees that the working lock has changed as C&RT have moved over to the other lock.

The middle lock has the poetry lines on the beams. I always think that these words are quite deep.

At the new top gates there was the above plaque. I don't remember seeing a C&RT or 2014 plaque before.

I love the fact that there are all sorts of different paddle gear on the cut. It would be boring if they were all the same and recalls the separate companies that built the canals. I am surprised that these ones are allowed as with open cogs and gears with no guards etc as H&S seems to be master.

We passed Barby Moorings an d passed under the M45 and kept going to just past Bridge 80. There were a few boats there but we were on the start of the ARMCO and were tied up just as the sun went down. I lit the fire and we opened a bottle of Prosecco.

This is a sculpture to celebrate Frank Whittle, jet engine designer, who was born in Rugby.

This was in the Caldecott Park when Helen went for a walk.

We will move on to Braunston tomorrow to have a look at Midland Chandlers, visit the butchers and have a pint at the Admiral Nelson.


No comments: