Total Pageviews

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Hanging fire.

I had to get up in the night to put some socks on as my feet were perishing. I think that the boat was still cold through. My second job this morning, after putting the kettle on, was to light the fire to drive the cold and damp out of the boat. We will see whether my feet appreciate it tonight. We pottered about and then decided to go and recover our key from the marina ready to leave. We had a chat and as it was windy with frequent showers so they said it would be okay for us to wait until next day.

With that we left to do a bit of shopping and to post some letters. Most of Dewsbury indoor and outdoor market was open so we had a good poke about. Helen found some cushions for £1 that she will cover at some stage. We also found a pillow and a small blanket that she will make into a bed for Macy the cat when she comes back to us. We also found the first pork pie to grace our table this years cruise. We also bought some ham and pork that came with seasoning (stuffing) on the side which I had never seen before. There was also tripe and other less identifiable things on the counter that we decided against this time. Helen couldn't resist some ribbon for £1 from one of the haberdashers too. We even managed to avoid all the showers as we headed home for lunch.

Dewsbury Market.

After lunch there were a few jobs for me to do. I ran some sealant around the bathroom area and lay the new carpet down and fitted the cupboards back etc. I then routed the TV aerial so that it was out of the way at all times. I was hoping to be able to feed the coaxial cable through the woodwork covering the pipework along the port side but it proved impossible so I had to resort to its demolition. Fortunately it came apart without breaking and I soon had it all put back and it looks as it always had. Unfortunately I didn't test the TV before putting it back and the signal strength was poor. I thought I would have to take it all apart but luckily it turned out to be the socket in the bulkhead had come lose. Phew!!

The TV now sits where the flowery cushion is and the coaxial runs under the boxed in pipes running to the radiators. Macy the cat is not with us at the moment as we are going back home for her in a couple of weeks.

Helen was busy hemming the new curtains for the galley and checking out her purchases of the day. I had one more job to do. This was to mount the little hand vacuum cleaner we have. We have had it for a couple of years now but don't really use it as it was hidden away and never charged up. Hopefully it will get more use now.

The new position of the cleaner. Hopefully we will remember to turn it's charger off when we aren't underway.

I think we will celebrate surviving April Fool's Day by making a last visit to the Legger's Pub before turning in.


2 comments:

Andy Healey said...

Took me back to my childhood, I was born in Dewsbury, lived at Saville Town, which is near the basin and lived there until aged 15, remember the arm and basin as been overgrown and old boats as playgrounds. Always remember the market, and tripe with vinegar and pepper on Saturday Mornings before going to the Regal picture house and later if lucky an ice cream at Caddys Ice Cream parlour..
Not many boats to watch in what was the late 60,s instead we used to go to Healey Mills marshalling yard not far away and watch the shunting over the humps.

NB Holderness said...

Hi Andy,
It is still an under boated Arm as can be seen by how shallow it is. I think the Leggers pub is probably worth the trip up and the market is only about 15mins walk away, plus all the 'big' shops are close by too. I was trying to think what it would have been like with all the mills working away along with steam trains etc. Definitely different times and much missed in memory but I wouldn't trade in central heating, pizzas etc etc. I missed Caddys Ice Cream Parlour if it is still there. I love my ice cream.
Cheers for now, Tony