Total Pageviews

Wednesday 8 April 2015

Taking it easy.

Another nice day so we sat and did very little. I spent a couple of hours fiddling with the Hurricane but no joy so gave it up as a bad job in the end as I haven't got the right tools or a service manual (and nothing really found on line) and not bits to replace anything that I pulled off etc so I will wait for a bit of expertise to show me how for the next time.

We have been for a walk into town over the new footbridge over the Aire that was opened in 2008. It is set close to the weir that was built to maintain the water level in the river. The keel hull just below the bridge was not artfully placed there but was actually driven there over the weir in flood conditions many years ago. The fish ladder can also be seen on the far bank.

The keel looks like a planter set there with the bridge.

The road bridge just down from the weir. Castleford was a Roman town (called Lagentium) as a bridging point over the River Aire

Castleford was a very busy place in past times with four large pits in the area. Now the mining had disappeared the town is not the place it once was. The town was the birth place of sculptor Henry Moore and for those of us of a certain age was also the home of Hilda Wright who we all know as the creator of 'Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men'!

At the town end of the foot bridge is a large mill. This was where Allinson's ground their special flour. They used stones to grind the flour and the whole works was driven by water wheels. The runs of which can be seen to the right of the mill. It was called the Queen's Mill and in 1921 the mill was extended and so became the largest mill in the world using stones. It was closed today but we will go and have a look tomorrow.

Another view of the foot bridge.

Later in the afternoon I washed the port side of the boat. I'd like to say it looks better for it, but I'm not that sure. The green paint is just coming off on the leather. I expect the original paint was applied with too  much thinner. I suppose that it means that it means I will have to do the st'bd side sometime to match them up.

Helen made a new hair drying turban and finished a bed for the arrival of Macy the cat. We are booked in to Goole for our trip home at the weekend and provisionally for a pen out at Keadby on Thursday 23rd to get down to Torksey.

2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Tony and Helen,
I spent a couple of hours earlier this week watching these video clips about boat painting and I learned heaps - I think you could find them very useful:
http://www.johnbarnard.biz/tips-tricks-videos/
Glad to see you are enjoying yourselves. Only 5 weeks till we are back!
Cheers, M&D xox

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both,
I reckon you are too late getting here to the UK as we are having summer now, and it is all coming to and end at the weekend! I have seen those videos about painting your boat and they are very good. I must have painted acres of ships in my time and don't mind painting at all, very therapeutic in fact. It is the preparation that makes the job a good one and I have neither the equipment, patience and basically can't be a...d to be honest. Pension lump sum has already been allocated and it just needs a little research to see who is going to benefit from it. We will be in Birmingham for mid May so depending here you go first we may get to see you. Your house is looking good so must be a bit of a shame having to leave it so soon. Cheers for now, Tony and Helen.