Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 May 2015

Busy doing nothing, or almost nothing.


It may be a bit of a struggle to write something tonight as when I try to think what I have done today, not a lot comes into my head. I did lightly rub down the first coat of undercoat I put on yesterday. I must say I was quite impressed with my handiwork as there were no runs and the brush strokes were quite smooth so didn't take too much sanding down. I masked up the junction with the green to get a good line and then set to with a second coat of paint. I am more used to painting the inaccessible bits with a brush and then the surfaces with a mini roller and then I think you are supposed to put brush stokes through the rolled area. I'm in two minds whether to do that for the top coat of not. I think the whether will give me a day off tomorrow as it is supposed to be windy and wet tomorrow. I have several jobs to do inside so that wont be too bad. I will pop into town for a bolt and stuff from a proper ironmongers that I have found on the interweb to sort out a couple of jobs too.







I am on the lo tech side of the spectrum when it comes to painting and the mini roller would be as advanced as I would want to go I think.

There has been a constant stream of boats in both directions today. There have been a couple of hire boats that the helmsman were struggling to control coming round the corner but they didn't cause any bother other than a bit of embarrassment to themselves. On the other hand there was a couple of Privateers that weren't particularly patient with them. There is the usual discussion point of what constitutes a slow speed when passing moored boats but none were towing water skiers behind them.

It wasn't quite as busy as this! It has been Crick Show last weekend and I can't imagine travelling around that neck of the woods at the time. It is bad enough on a normal sunny weekend.

The boat is getting quite dusty as the tow path next to the boat is small gravel. I expect the boat will look a mess by the time we leave as I have no water to wash it down.

There has been a navigational warning from the Canal and River Trust that there have been low water flows on the Rivers Severn so boaters should be aware there may be shallow spots and not to cut the corners. We are asked to report and shallows to the lock keepers so they can advise other users of any areas that are found to be causing a problem. It doesn't look as though there is going to be too much rain before we head out on to the river so we shouldn't have to worry about rivers.

Low river levels on the River Severn at Bridgenorth in 2012,

At the start of our travels we thought that we should actually stay in one place more often and for longer but I must say I find it hard to not keep moving along, despite having plenty to do when I am stopped.

2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Tony, Re your painting, check out this link http://www.johnbarnard.biz/tips-tricks-videos/ - I found it very informative, although his process is extremely thorough.
We too thought we would stay in one place more, but we too find it difficult not to move along. If anything will make us stay put it'll be the weather now we're not on much of a timetable. Cheers, M&D

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both,
I have looked at those videos and there is some good information. I have many hours of actual painting so that really isn't a problem. I also have had enough hours of preparation to realise that I don't have the patience for it or enjoy it so will never get too into the painting. It is chucking it down at the moment so I have no problems standing by at the moment.

Cheers for now, Tony