Total Pageviews

Thursday 14 May 2015

Spooked!

Yesterday I got seized by the urge to clean the stove when we had moored up. I had plucked a suitable piece of oak twig that I was going to use in lieu of a flue brush. When we tied up the twig went in to the cut so once I had fished it out I thought I had better get on with it. I cleaned out the stove its self, taking out the damper and the fire bricks and giving it a good brush out. There are parts that the ash had fallen into that were boxed in and could not be accessed. I suppose you just have to let it get full and then rake out what you can. I then rammed the twigs down the chimney from the top. The idea is that the twigs run out from the main stem at an angle and from all directions. They are too long for the diameter of the flue so once placed in the flue they spring outwards and act as a brush. The long stem means that you can push it right down and turn it round to do the job. It seems to work very well by the look of the amount of stuff in the grate. Mind you there appeared to be plenty of rust in it too. It makes me wonder how long the stove back and flue will last and means that I will check it  more often. I still have to clean the glass window so that is a job for tonight though.

Image result for hamlet hardy 4
Our stove is a Hamlet Hardy 4 as in the photo.

The rain started about 1030 here and although not really heavy it was continuous until about 1800. That is why we had thought to stay here for the day. I was having a big guilt trip as when we got here we found that it was 24hrs only mooring. The other boat on the pontoon last night left this morning so we moved up to the other end of the pontoon. I had decided that if there were loads of boats wanting to moor here we would move on to Cuckoo Wharf. However two boats passed early heading for Bordesley Junction and that is all, so far.

The highlight of the day was going to the pictures. the added bonus was that it was cheaper before 1700. We chose to go to see Spooks, the Greater Good. It was brilliant is just about all I can say really. It kept us on the edge of our seats from start to finish. Again it was very British in that there were gadgets, car chases, shooting sand explosions but all done in an understated way rather than flash, bang, wallop in your face stuff. Harry was at is very best and the baddie didn't get revealed until the very end. I would say that this is definitely one to go and see. I predict that there will be more in the series too. Kit Harrington from Game of Thrones plays a great part and is very believable.

Spooks, The Greater Good, is set in London with an escaped terrorist threatening London with bombs etc. His escape has put the existence of MI5 in jeopardy and Harry has to go it alone to find the traitor that assisted the escape and at the same time prevent mass murder and recapture the terrorist. He recruits a dismissed agent Will Holloway who just happens to be the son of another agent (and from a story line on the TV may have been Harry's son!). Don't miss it if you like this sort of thing.

As well as cleaning the glass in the stove I have to put a lip on a half shelf that holds glasses to prevent them from falling when we hit a lock wall a little too hard. I then have to do a little filling of cracks in the bathroom. I thought that I would have to take the water pump out and strip it down as towards the end of last night it kept coming on. When I got up to make the tea I found the kitchen tap dripping so I was saved that job.

Before we went to the pictures we watched a Canada Geese family walking up and down the tow path. When it started raining they goslings hid under a wing. Later we watched them jump one by one into the water in a comical way. We were quite worried as we couldn't see anywhere where they could get out. They did somehow as they were on the tow path later on.

There are seven under there somewhere!


2 comments:

Carol said...

Fantastic picture of the sheltering goslings, lovely!

NB Holderness said...

Thanks, I did take that picture. Usually it is Helen that takes the good ones. I hope that you and George are doing fine and enjoying the Grand Union. You never know we may bump into you later in the year.
Cheers for now, Tony and Helen.