Total Pageviews

Sunday 3 May 2015

Walks and WiFi.

I love it when you wake up to rain on the roof as it makes me feel all cosy tucked up inside. By the time I had got up and ready to go for the paper the rain had stopped and I went out without my coat. After a casual scan through the paper Helen rousted me out for a walk as it was threatening to be sunny. We walked down the canal and over the long foot bridge towards Wychnor. We stepped of the towpath and up towards the church to find the field we walked through had the field marking of a lost village. One of the many villages that disappeared when the enclosures act meant that they lost their common grazing land so the old way of life had to end and they would probably have had to head for the town.

Alrewas lock in the distance at the end of the footbridge. All these bridges are to have work on them this summer as the decks are deteriorating. 

We were going to do a loop and just go back on the towpath again but decided to go 'off piste' and see where we ended up. Following the narrow road from the village of 70 souls at the last census we passed a fishing lake and a yew hedge that narrowed the road so much for so long that traffic lights had to be erected. We came to the Wychnor Park Country Club with a golf course. The Queen Anne building has several cabins for rental too and next week a two person room is £89. They are self catering too if you don't want to use the facilities
.
Wychnor Park Country Club.

We walked past nthe front of the house and then down into the flood plain of the River Swarbourne that flows in to the Trent just to the north of Alrewas. It was a nice walk with nobody else around coming out just by the old mill and the canal bridge.

For the rest of the day I have been taking advantage of the sun shining to spend time on my computer writing up my other blogs. My bum is aching now so I will have to get moving tomorrow as I have had enough of sitting still. There have been many boats passing, several have obviously picked up their hire boats from Mercia Marina, but only one has touched us and they were very apologetic as the wind just took them. It is very narrow here and with a slow speed passing the boats you are very prone to drift on to boats. We will need a top up of water at the very least.

No comments: