Total Pageviews

Thursday 30 July 2015

Busy with batteries again.

Through the night I had been thinking about our batteries. Everything seems to be fine but as the domestic batteries were now three wet acid and one was maintenance free it meant that the Smartguage was not really registering correctly. I thought this may be that you have to enter what type of batteries are connected to the Smartguage. I had an idea to move the new maintenance free one to the starter one and then I would have four wet cell ones for the Smartguage.

Helen was okay to go to the shops without me and so I had a couple of hours to crack on with it. Once I started I found more work to do. I had to remove all the rotten linings after taking all the batteries out. I then had to de-rust the deck of the locker where we have the batteries. That involved scrapping the deck of all loose rust and paint and then washing the deck with water to dilute the acid that had leaked when the wet cell had leaked. I had to do this a few times to ensure that it was as clear as possible. I then painted rust converter on all the exposed metal. As that dried I felt I may as well paint it with anti rust undercoat. Now I was under time pressure as I didn't have enough time to let it dry properly before I had to start boxing everything up. I put a some tanalised timber battens down on the deck and started putting the batteries back. I cleaned up all the terminals and then bolted everything back together. I moved the order of the batteries to ensure that they were getting evened out wear.

I was a little bit latter than I had said but we had lunch and were still away by 1400. It wasn't as if we had a racing exit from Oxford as there were lines of  moored boats on the way out of the town. We passed by one water point but stopped to top up at the one near Wolvercote Lock. As we were taking on water a boat came towards the lift bridge just near the water point but Helen or I couldn't work out how to open it. I read the instructions and could un-lock it but I was scared that the attached chain wouldn't be long enough to pull it down again. But it was, but Helen couldn't pull it down so I was now on lift bridge duty.

The good thing is that you open the bridge all from one side unlike most others where it is much more difficult for single handers.

A very simple and old bridge with the A34 above in the trees.

We were soon at Duke's Lock where the Duke's Cut goes down to the Thames. The cottage looks as though it had been derelict but there seems to be plenty of work going on in it at the moment. As we approached a bloke had run down the Duke's Cut and as the bottom gate was open I assumed that he was going in. I headed to the bank to moor up to get out of his way but he must have thought that I was going to pinch his lock as he was tooting his horn for all he was worth, until he realised.

As the first boat was leaving another boat approached and I moved up into the mouth of the lock to make room for him. It turned out to be the Hotel Boat Takara who we had met on the Kennet and Avon. The guys running it are from Hull. We could tell from the accents and it turns out that they live close to my Mother in Law. They have a busy job to do with four guests and so little room.

We didn't fancy our chances of finding a mooring at Thrupp so when we found a spot just by Kidlington Green Lock we tied up. This gave me time to finish off the battery locker so that the deck above the batteries was installed and I could again stow the gear in there. I must confess I am tired out with all the work. It does feel good to be back on the canals and going at canal speed again.

No comments: