Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 September 2015

Back into the groove.

Well we are back aboard now after a manic few days doing as much as possible to catch up at home in a few days. We came back in mixed weather and a long stretch of 50 mph on the M1 and it still took us just over an hour and a half making Kings Orchard Marina a very handy spot. It didn't take us long to empty the car and fill the boat and while I was filling up with water Helen got some lunch ready. The longest time was taken with chatting to the staff at the office before we were away. As we left the marina I was a little perturbed to see this walking in the field next to the cut!

I'm afraid that with all the stuff that goes on around the place despite realising it was a bloke following his country pursuit I did have a little shiver and wondered where I could dodge to hide.

We were just going a very short way as I was calling in to Streethay Wharf to have a chat about blacking and a repaint and we are now all sorted. Rather than try and wind in the moorings we decided to see if we could find a berth at Fradley so we could go for a pint so we continued onwards. We were beaten to the last mooring so we went through the footbridge and winded outside the Swan and headed back again. 

Streethay Wharf had a surprisingly large chandlery. All were very chatty and helpful and the place was a hive of activity. When I lived near here I must have passed it a hundred times going up and down the A38 but never thought I would have a boat there.

It was a beautiful evening and as there was sun we decided to moor up outside Kings Orchard Marina as there was a clear view and some nice Armco to tie up to. I erected the TV aerial as Helen told me that is had to be done as it was 'Strictly'. Now she is telling me it may not be on after all. Oh well we will see.

Kings Orchard seems to be quite unusual as rather than just digging out a hole in a field and cutting through to the canal this one had to be built up to get to the level ,of the canal. You can see it wasn't just a few inches either. In fact I was told that in the middle it is 16' deep!

There isn't a lot of shrubs ot trees around at the moment so the wind makes life interesting trying to get on the pontoons. There is nothing around. It is a bit of a walk to Whittington but there is the faint noise of the A38 in the background. We are leaving the boat here over winter so we brought our car down to leave for us to take home again when we finish up. It is nice to be back. I don't know why but I relaxed as soon as we got away.

No comments: