Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 October 2015

All down hill?

Well that is it now. I have hit 60 and it is all down hill now. Or is it? Other than the body not being quite as able to do as much in a short space of time these days all seems okay, touch wood. And actually now the kids and the work is behind there is more time to do things so I can take my time. Helen sorted a nice day out for us. A trip to Cropton near Pickering at the foot of the North York Moors. The journey over was lovely as you have to pass over the Yorkshire Wolds and through the Vale of Ryedale. When we arrived we had a bite to eat at the New Inn and then had a guided tour of the Great Yorkshire Brewery that is built in the quarry behind the pub. 

The New Inn, brewery tap of the Great Yorkshire Brewery, formally Cropton Brewery until 2010.

Heygate Road into Rosedale Abbey.

After a few more beers we had a substantial meal before retiring to our room. I was most partial to the Yorkshire Pale and the Chocolate Orange beers. The next day we drove up the road to Rosedale Abbey. The rain had stopped but our walk was very clarty. In fact we cut it short as Helen managed to fall dwon a hole right up to her knee, twice! Once she had cleaned up we went off to Pickering for a walkabout and a cup of coffee and a slice of cake before setting off home. We popped into the church as despite coming here numerous times over the years we had never been inside. It is a beautiful church and the highlights are the wall murals on both sides of the nave. ( I had also learned earlier in the week that the ecclesiastical word nave comes from the word naval as the roofs looked a bit like an upturned boat. The paintings are medieval and had been lost sine the Reformation until the late 19th Century.

They are a little blood thirsty with a beheading lower left and the body full of arrows to the right.

Murals were painted in most churches until the Reformation as they were away to pass a story/message over to those who could not read scripture, and I think they would brighten the place up. I recognise George and the Dragon and St Christopher in the lower photograph.

Once we got home Helen set to getting a roast dinner ready for us and No.1 son and Sam. We had a nice evening and a good chat. I also got more presents of chocolate and a lovely scarf to go with my book of pub walks. I wish I was sixty every day, well probably for a week or so.

6 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Happy birthday, Tony! Big hugs to you and Helen,
M&Dxo

Sue said...

Well a big happy birthday from me too! Welcome to the over 60's it's a very good time from now on... Promise!!

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both, Hope you have settled back in to your 'other' life. What are you going to do with your selves now the house is all but done? Thanks for your wishes and I am really looking forward to the best bits as I should start earning again soon. Cheers for now, Tony

NB Holderness said...

Hi Sue, I really am looking forward to what ever happens next as I never really worry about anything that I can't control. It can't fail to be better really, no kids at home, work I want to do, possibility of grand kids and more time with Helen. What's not to like. Keep warm and dry. Tony

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Tony. Don't worry I am sure that it has been proven that 60 is the new 40 :)

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann, Thanks very much for the kind wishes. Just another day doesn't make me feel any different. In fact I am all ready reaping the benefits by using my seniors rail card and reduced subs at choir! Lots to look forward to as well. How is the house sale and boat search going? Have you booked your train ticket for Leeds yet?

Thanks again, Tony.