Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 October 2015

Where did that week go?

Being used to to speed on the canals this week seems to have disappeared in the wink of an eye.After getting back Thursday evening I was on duty the next day taking my Mum to Hospital for out patients appointments etc. It seems to take most of the day but I did manage to cut the grass afterwards. It took about three hours as it was so long. It normally takes an hour. We did manage to celebrate our homecoming with an Indian meal that evening.

On Saturday I was helping at the our local CAMRA beer festival to celebrate our fortieth year. It must have been a real growth time for the campaign as this summer as we have travelled round there has been several groups celebrating that milestone. Ours was called '40 Beers for 40 Years' which I thought was quite catchy. It wasn't very well attended though but I was there from 1100 to 2300 so managed to avoid watching the England rugby game, for which I am truly grateful as Helen is still going on about it!On Sunday we had a lazy day catching up on ironing the piles of clothes that have been washed that we brought back from the boat. As the weather was so nice we went for a walk in the afternoon and came back with a couple of kilos of sloes.

Later in the week the sloes were washed and de-stalked and placed with some sugar in the jars. We don't really 'do' gin so we make it with vodka. There bottles of ALDI's cheapest will be turned into a beautiful drink by this time next year. The sloes, once having done there work, will make a nice jelly too.

Part of the reason that we are home a month earlier than normal is that Helen had an offer of work so we were up early on Monday for her to get off. I make the tea and get her pack-up ready before bidding her fair well. She will be busy for a few weeks administering the anti-flu nasal spray to young children all round Hull and the East Riding. Later she will be doing all sorts of other inoculations that kids have these days. She enjoys the work as it is just turn up and do it rather than all the paperwork and procedures that she had to do before that wore her out. It worked out well for us really as that was what prompted us to buy the boat. I couldn't go back to bed, even if I had wanted to, as I I was off to whisk my Mum off to another out patient appointment that took all morning.

Tuesday was spent sorting out my pensions that are due for payment at the end of this month when I turn 60. Yes how did that happen? Of course I only look about 35, so long as there are no mirrors about that is. It will be nice to have some money coming in again though. Helen was again out with the sprays, this time in Bridlington. I am also the Chairman of the United Towing and Salvage Society so had plenty to catch up for that. I worked for United Towing for a few years. It is a local company to Hull and their vessels ranged the Globe towing structures all over. On the way there were a few salvage jobs too. Most of the crews were from Hull and all the ships had the suffix 'Man as in 'Yorkshireman'. The company is no more but we are trying to amass as much of the history and the stories of the crews to preserve for future generations. If anybody reading this is interested leave me a comment and I'll be in touch with you. Membership is a mere bagatelle at £10.

Wednesday it was another appointment at the outpatients for my Mum. I am hoping that these visits to hospital will reduce in number as they amass information and are able to sort out a diagnosis and a treatment. Wednesday evening our son was coming back from sea and we were to pick him up at Humberside airport. It is a lovely little airport with about five flights a day to Amsterdam so saves having to suffer coming home via London. This was a milestone for us all as he wasn't coming home to us but going to sleep in his own house that he sale had been completed for whilst he has been away. This would be the first night that he and his partner would be sleeping in it. So that is it, he can now officially said to have left home. There are now just the two of us.

Today Helen is again out looking up the noses of the young children of Driffield so I have been left on my own to wash the floors and sort out tea. I will catch up on some emails and get tea ready but, is the first day where I can slow down a little. The weather is set to be quite good over the weekend round here so with a little luck we will get some time in the garden as we seem to have been taken over by nettles this year. I like to have a few in the garden for the butterflies but unchecked they seem to take off, and this year must have been good for them. There is much pruning and weeding to do too. That is one of the drawbacks of going away on the boat as the work to restore the garden when we get back is a right pain. Patio gardening at the next house for sure.

The nettles have all but hidden the shelter in the corner at the bottom of the garden. With their stinging it is a brave man (or woman) that would seek the tranquility of the bench in there at the moment. The rhubarb has gone over for another year. Our rhubarb does so well that I reckon I could supply shops with organic stalks if I was home.

The roses and ivy have also gone mad and almost sealed off this side of the garden. It is a real secret garden now. I expect I will be back on first name terms with the lads at the local council tip soon.

2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I don't know how you have time for boating, Tony! It's all go in Hull when you are home ...
We left the boat in Debdale this arvo and are now lying in bed at the Travelodge in Market Harborough, absolutely exhausted with the prep for the winter (and all those maintenance tasks we had put off all season).
The less said about the rugby the better, but it's time you got on to the English coaches and told them to let the guys play the game instead of sending them messages throughout play - I gather it was about 200 messages to the team in the games against Wales - how can any team play well under those conditions?
Big hugs to you and the worker, and we hope all goes well with your mum, M&D xox

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both, I sense a little sarcasm here! It is a complete change of pace but I suppose that you get used to it quickly really. Glad to here you have started on your journey down under, via Scotland. You are always welcome to break the trip here in London as we are just about half way between Edinburgh and London and would be good to see you off the cut. Helen is enjoying the work and has already booked in several girls nights out. Mum is doing okay and is still capable of finding me jobs every time I go round. Drive safely and safe journey home.