Total Pageviews

Friday 20 November 2015

Consumables for 2015

Consumables are much harder to keep track off but I have included all the main items so as to be able to compare with previous years.

Stern gland grease..........................   3-50
Engine oil 3 x 5ltr........................... 45-00
Filters 2 x oil .................................  25-20
Engine antifreeze ........................... 11-99
Heating antifreeze .......................... 21-59
Paint etc ........................................   35-55
Distilled water ..............................     5-35
Tools .............................................    6-69
Batteries 5 x 110Ah ......................410-00
                                                       564-93
Refund on 1 battery ......................  75-00
Payment for scrap batteries .........   35-35
Total for 2015 ...............................454-58

The river section just before Alrewas. We passed this way and waited at Alrewas to have out Hurricane repaired and then turned round to head back to Mercia Marina to buy the new batteries.

We carried on fromWigram's Turn up to Braunston to hand our duff battery in but had a nice day there. The crane is just in the Braunston Marina with the steeple of the church and the top of the windmill showing.

A Macy Cat selfie in Walsall Basin. We shall have to go and spend a little more time in the area as there are loads of good pubs with good beer here abouts.

The major item of expenditure was replacement batteries. I felt it was time to replace them as we thought that we were limiting ourselves too much on use of power as they discharged regularly overnight to below 50%SOC. I'm not really on the ball with electricity and batteries etc, but when I saw that Midland Chandlers had some at £75-01 each I thought it was as good as time as any. However a couple of months later I found that the same thing was happening and on checking I found that one of the cells was almost dry where as all the others were fine. I filled it up and checked again a few days later and the same happened. I disconnected that battery and  bought another battery. I called up Midland Chandlers to tell them and they said no problem just bring it and and we will replace or refund. We were on the Kennet and Avon and I got them from Midland Chandlers at Mercia Marina! They said hold on to it until you get to a branch of Midland Chandlers then. I bought a replacement battery and all was well. At some stage we hired a car as we both had to be home and I took the old batteries to our scrap man and got the £35 for them. The price varies according to metal prices at the time but seems to me to be worth having the money if you can get them to a scrap man.
We finally got to Midland Chandlers at Braunston. It seems that it wasn't quite as they said as they would neither replace or refund until they had sent the battery away to check whether it had a fault. It did and a few weeks later I got the refund. Therefore, although the last battery bought was £110 I actually covered the extra with the refund and the scarp price.

The Kennet and Avon Canal near to Frouds Bridge Marina where we bought our last battery.

Only two oil and filter changes this year and the bag of cocoa shell from last year for the compost loo lasted to a couple of days before the end of our years cruise so no cost there. I get my oil from Wilco at £15 for 5 litres. It used to be £12!

No comments: