Total Pageviews

Monday 16 November 2015

New Equipment for 2015.

Helen has sworn that she wouldn't come away this year unless we had a television. I knew she was joking but I know when not to push her after 30 years and we bought a television. That turned out to be our main expense of the year. The other items that we have bought that will stay on the boat are two plastic cans for diesel and charts and maps.

Our TV. I'm pleased to say that we don't watch too much of it and have just a few select 'must see' things that it comes on for. The aerial is quick and easy to erect using a painters pole and a couple of spring claps.


The plastic cans are to have to get emergency fuel. I don't think it is worth keeping them full at the moment. I had considered filling them when we got to a really cheap outlet but the time and trouble to save the extra on  10 litres of fuel just isn't worth it. When tipping it down into the tank there is also a chance of a spill so the less times it is done the better.

When we were in Goole I saw the chart for the Yorkshire Ouse from Trent Falls to Naburn lock by the Boating Association, and as we are definitely going that way at some stage, maybe 2017, we bought to be ready. Later in the cruise we saw the Pearson's guide for the Kennet and Avon and as we were going that way we got that one too. I do love a map anyway. We usually use both the Nicholson and Pearson Guides as they each give you a different picture of the area you are in. For actual route viewing though I do prefer the Pearson's. I don't think I will ever go electronic as I love a map and with an electronic one you never seem to get the whole picture as you have to zoom in and out all the time. Call me old fashioned, but I wont be getting a Sat Nav either (unless I become a delivery driver or something similar) as I would much rather look at a map. Following the arrow and been directed by a disbodied voice means you travel with blinkers on in my opinion. We called into to Tewksbury for a couple of days on the way to Gloucester and Bristol and we bought yet another guide. This time it was to the Upper and Lower Avon. Once again we will definitely be passing the that way in the future so it will be handy to have for planning etc.

Our big brother on the approach to Goole. Battlestone only recently laid up from the Lafarge sand and gravel trade. She was built as a tank barge in 1968 by Harkers at Knottingly and was converted for aggregate in 2003. She is 175' long and over 18' beam so would make a very good size houseboat?!

Our mooring in Teweksbury, right next to the stone bridge. We wondered why boats going the through the arches were skidding all over and it was only when we crossed the bridge that we realised the arch is at an angle to the river.

The highlight of the trip on the Kennet and Avon? There are plenty of other high lights that don't involve quite so much effort but it is a fantastic sight when you are stood at the bottom. It is even better once you have negotiated the Caen Hill Flight and get to a pub in Devizes after mooring up at the top.


Oh yes I nearly forget I did also purchase a gas soldering iron that was needed to try to fix the motorised valve for the heating. As it turned out it didn't help but I'm sure it will be called upon at a later date.

Equipment

Television LED 22"   ..................................109-00
Soldering iron   ............................................ 20-27
Yorkshire Ouse chart   ................................ 12-00
Pearson's Guide to the Kennet and Avon   ..  8-95
Upper and Lower Avon Guide   ..................  4-00
TOTAL                                                       164-22

2014 this was £678-39 so a big saving. Last year we had the expense of life jackets and a VHF Radio plus other things that obviously now we have them we shouldn't need to buy them again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job you are not getting a sat nav, I remember Helen once threatened to throw our out the car window for not taking us the right way!

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

We like the combination of electronic and paperbased, Tony, both onboard and in the car.
Now, did you also keep count of the number of pints you drank (I know you did) and their costs, the average, the mean and the most expensive? Do you have a rating system for them that you are going to share? Is there a spreadsheet showing the train travel costs? Rubbish bags, how much did rubbish bags cost?
Mxox PS David is not joining in this giving you a hard time ...

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann, Helen and I are of but one mind on this. I reckon it must come down to Scouts and Guides, but I would hate to have to rely on a Sat Nav to tell me how to get to anywhere. I think it is a bit like those that like a digital watch so they can say it is 0845 and 33 secs and those that like analogue and are just happy to know it is around quarter to nine! Hope Richard's job is going okay and he has found a nice flat or somewhere. Tony

NB Holderness said...

Hi Both, this year I did keep a note of where and what I drank and I did rate the beer, sort of, but didn't really keep a note of the prices of every pint. It was for a purpose as I hope to write about it at some stage. I have not kept a note of train fares, or rubbish bags but I think you must have more money than sense if you are not interested to know how much you are spending. For us we have a limited income and so need to know that we are keeping with in the bounds. It is also hopefully interesting for those that are maybe thinking of buying a boat or moving on to the water. I'm sure that before you bought your bought you were looking for just such information. Feel free to take the p--s though. I will not be offended and after all it is what you Kiwi's are best at. Ya boo sucks to you too. You will be pleased to know that it is colder now, blowing a gale and chucking it down! Hope you are both well and enjoying your new home.

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Tony, I would love to keep the books the way you do - it's not more money than sense that stops me - it's fear of knowing the actual costs! I am in awe of your keeping such careful records, honest I am! It's always what I intend but not what I can bring myself to do! If we knew exactly what it cost we would stop doing it, I am sure!!
One thing we took account of when thinking about how much living on the boat would cost was that we would have living expenses wherever we were - so I tend to keep a running total in my head of boat specific costs, and I ignore the living costs - they are a constant, whether at home in NZ or on the boat in the UK - although we are clear that food costs are less in the UK, and we can buy lovely NZ wines in the UK for less than we can get them in NZ at times.

And we are not better just at taking the p--s - we are also better at rugby ...

Weather here is warming up but we are still waiting for the promised El Nino effect!

Big hugs to you both, Mxox