Total Pageviews

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Memories of 1981.

One of my big regrets is that my Mum was never able to come out on the boat with us, or even visit as by the time that we had bought it she was not mobile enough to get up and down the steps etc. It is too late now as she has passed away. It has been a hectic three weeks and I expect the next month or so will be likewise. She was at home and didn't take to her bed until the last day and there were loads of us with her so not too bad all in all.

My Mum, Betty, had a full life 'til 89 years old.

If I remember rightly we hired from Claymore near Preston Brook. The boat was the 'Bowden Hall'. My Granny was 89 and my Aunts were well in to their 60's and had never been on any form of a boat previously, other than a cross Channel, or cross Humber ferry. In the end my Gran sat and did Granny things and said everything was lovely. My Aunty May designated herself to the galley and my Aunty Madge did most of the steering and I did everything else! And we chose to do the Cheshire Ring!!

They had said that they were interested in having a canal holiday and I said okay sure I would go with them and disappeared off to sea for a few months never thinking that they would do anything about it. I should have known my Mum's sisters were made of much sterner stuff than that and as soon as I got back I was informed of the date of our cruise and off we went.

We were blessed with lovely weather all the way. It was before the school summer holidays and I seem to remember that as we passed through Manchester there was a mini riot going on. England had been beset with city riots, and I seem to remember Gran sitting on the bow as we descended the Rochdale 9. There was much verbal abuse and some spitting and I had to drag her in when stones were thrown! All exciting stuff, but we escaped unscathed.

Upper picture; Aunty Madge and Granny P inside 'Bowden Hall'.
Middle picture; Aunty Madge penning down. Maybe the top Wheelock pair of locks or maybe around Church Lawton.
Bottom picture; Is this the Broughton Arms at Rode Heath. I think I would have deserved a pint.

I think there are 97 locks on the Cheshire Ring so it was a good job I was fit and active at 26. The girls certainly enjoyed it. My Gran died a little over a year later but my Aunts frequently used to remind me of it when they were still with us. I must have enjoyed it as I ended up on lots of later hire boat holidays and later we have been able to buy one. We are looking forward to been able to visit the boat and get away from it for at least a few days before the 'season' starts.


1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Hi Tony, You will miss your mum and that is reason enough to send you our condolences. On the other hand, I know she hadn't been that well over the last year and so she was probably ready to go, and you and your brother will be relieved that she is no longer struggling or suffering.
This post is lovely! And what a lovely young man you were to take a bunch of middle aged women away for a week's holiday!
Love to you and Helen and looking forward to catching up in person before too long. Take care, friend, M&Dxox