Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 March 2016

Home from Home.

At last!! We have made it down to the boat for the first time since 9th November. And I think it is the first time I have relaxed since then!!!  We drove down to Kings Orchard Marina and arrived after an easy 90 min trip. We approached the boat the with the usual trepidation of just hoping that everything will be okay. We too Macy the Cat with us and she was soon at home and seemed to be glad she was back aboard. I had a quick look about and the only thing I could see was that the stove looked a little rusty in patches. On closer inspection it seem that we have a slight leak from the roof that has dripped down the flu, onto the top of the stove causing a little rust. I went and turned the water on at the pump and then turned the electrics on so that we could fill the kettle. the next job was to turn the gas on so that we could boil it, all soon achieved. Whilst that was on I cleaned up round the stove and then lit it to warm the boat up. Whilst that was catching I put the Hurricane heater on for the hot water and then checked the header tank. It needed a bit of a top up but not too much. Then I set too transferring the stuff we had bought from down with us from the car to the boat. It was a lovely spring day but still had a little nip in the air. There were plenty of folk about cleaning and polishing their pride and joy.

My next job was to go round the radiators to bleed them. Once do, another check of the header tank and then on with the Hurricane heating. When we were down in November I thought that the hot water was not cutting out. At home I had puzzled over it and wondered if it was the tank thermostat but it appeared to be working fine this visit. The heating also seemed to be fine so all was tickety boo. I then turned to the engine. I had a quick squint down the engine hole to check everything looked okay. I was gratified to see that there was no water in the bilges at all. I then gave the engine 5 secs. on the heat plug and she started straight away, and ran as smooth as a sewing machine.

By the time I had had look about the boat it was nearly the end of the Italy v Ireland 6 Nations match so it was a good time to erect the TV aerial and hope that that would also be working fine. And all was well. Especially as England turned out winners, despite a nasty scare towards the end. It now seems that as Scotland beat France today England are Champions but they will want to win with a Grand Slam next week to seal the deal.

The night was rounded off with the voice and the concluding part of 'Stag'. I'm not sure whether it was the couple of cans of beer, Helen's couple of glasses of wine but I felt so comfortable a relaxed, even before we got to bed. As soon as we got aboard we felt like we were back home, comfortable and happy.

About 0800 in the morning with the mist just rising.

Helen hardly stirred through the night, which is always a good sign. She always sleeps well on the boat, as do I. I was up and making the tea after that but we didn't hurry to stir out of the pit until later. The water was hot and the shower pump worked first time so yet again all was well witrh the world.After breakfast, and catching up with the 'Archers', I went and brought the coke that had been in my Mum's bunker! What!!! Well the house is being cleared on Monday so there was no point in leaving it! I only got three bags but it burns really well and lasts for ages. Helen sorted out the planters as I filled up with water, not full as I'm not sure what the weather will bring before we get underway properly. Our thermometer showed that the minimum temperature inside had been +1C so that was good.

Looking North from our berth.

Our pontoon.

After all that work we went to pay our dues for electricity and then headed out to go and have a look at the Heart of England Centre. It is a little outlet centre and surprisingly Helen didn't come back with any purchases but we did succumb to a hot cross bun and a coffee before heading back to the boat. I then checked the batteries and had a much closer look around the engine hole. By the time that was all done we decided that we would head to the Plough at Huddlesford for a pint. It is only about 15 mins walk along the tow path and when we got there I found that the were serving Joules Pale Ale that is one of my favourites. They also had Tim Taylor's Landlord. After a couple we wandered back to the boat and I have had time to write the blog while Helen gets the tea.

The Plough from the canal.

Helen on the way back.

The marina on the way back.

After tea we have 'Night Manager' to watch and then another good nights sleep before having to head homeward again. We will be back over Easter some time.

No comments: