Total Pageviews

Monday 18 April 2016

At last.

Well we are back on the boat for our prolonged cruise and I must say it is nice to be here. It has been a very busy week at home. It was the Hull and East Yorkshire branch of CAMRA's Beer Festival and so last week was spent setting it up in our great venue of Holy Trinity Church in Hull and then Thursday onward's serving the great and good of the city with the real ale. We had 130 different beers between the gravity and hand pull bars, plus many ciders and bottled beers. I think folk are getting more educated in trying the beers. many less pint glasses and drinking pints all the time, and more drinking third's so that you can try more out. It also seemed to me that there were many more there that hadn't been beer drinkers but were willing to try it. It was perfect for the branch too as he beer ran out about 1500 on Saturday afternoon so no wastage.

Mean time I was trying to get all those little jobs done that need doing before leaving home. The partly finished DIY projects, gardening etc etc. Sunday was the third Sunday of the month and I run my history walks round Hedon and had a few takers. As the weather was good it was a pleasure to show folks about. However with the standing up and walking at the beer festival and then the two walks on Sunday my feet are a little sore!

We got everything out yesterday and then I packed the car this morning and went to pick up Bash, our son, who was going to bring the car back for us. We arrived in two hours and unloaded and after a bite to eat he was off again to be the traffic at the other end.

This time we have Macy cat and Sky the budgie with us, so with Helen and me we are getting to be a little zoo. I filled with water and got he ropes out etc etc a,d then went to pay for the electricity and the extra period of moorings we have had. I then decided that we would top up the fuel as it was only 54p domestic and I would be able to work out the consumption etc more easily for the coming months. It was quite breezy from the st'bd side so it was easy to just leave the pontoon and be blown down on to the fuel quay. When we left it was a mater of getting the stern out on a for's spring and reversing out before turning and making for the entrance.

On the boat moored next to us, 'Blue Moon' a mallard had made a nest and laid her eggs. I wondered what I would do if I had come to take the boat out for of 6/7 month cruise and this was on my bow! What a dilemma!! The eggs take 28 days to hatch so if you got there just as they were laid you could have a very long wait. What would you do?

Once clear of the entrance we turned right and moored up straight away. I had brought so plastic to fit in our shower and I wanted to fit it before our first shower in the morning as it had had several weeks to dry out. So after lighting the fire and one or two other jobs I got on with that. It was finished at about 2000 and so after unpacking and realising that Helen had packed clothes for me and I had also, so I have ended up with double what I need. It will all go back in June when we are back home.

Everything seems to be working fine and we will soon be turning in soon and I expect to sleep well.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray! Happy sailing and blogging :)

Ann x

Heather Soul said...

Yes happy sailing Helen and Tony you deserve a lovely long rest after the past few months of being very busy.
Hope to pop and see you on your travels in the summer
Heather x

NB Holderness said...

Hi Heather, we are thinking of you and Jon at the moment. It never rains but it pours. I must say I am glad to be on the boat and in a different world now. At least for a while. Just got from day to day and it will soon pass for you. Helen and Tony

NB Holderness said...

Hi Ann, my first fan mail of the year!! I hope that you aren't just going to watch us cruising, but get out and about yourself. Come and see us if you need a confidence builder before setting off.

Cheers for now, Helen and Tony

Chris said...

Something to read every day as I recouperate!! Hopefully join you later in the year once I get rid of the crutches.. Happy cruising. Hugs

NB Holderness said...

Hi Chris, I hope you have something more lengthy to read that this as it isn't likely to keep you occupied for long. Make the most of loafing as when you get better you will be off to get the mileage out of it, and the other one before they change that out too.