Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 July 2016

I'm back.

A set off at 0800 this morning. The bus before the one I was setting out to catch just as I arrived at the stop so I had a little sit waiting for my train to Doncaster. As I stepped of the train in Donny I saw that my train had been cancelled. I then noticed that a Virgin East Coast train had been delayed and was due any minute. I spoke to the Virgin chap and learned that for stations between Kings Cross and Doncaster, if you have an advanced ticket, you are able to catch any train between an hour earlier and an hour later than the time on your ticket. Of course you would not have a confirmed seat.

I jumped on the late running train and found a seat that was not to be used until Peterborough. The seat next to it was to be occupied from Grantham. As it turned out the seat from Grantham was not taken so basically I sat in the same place all the way. It arrived at the same time as I was due on my original train. My train from Waterloo was a little earlier than I expect so I was back at the boat by about 1430.

Helen had filled up with water so we were ready for the off, but there was nobody in the office. It took us a little while to track him down but after paying an exorbitant sum for four nights, (free electricity though). We left our mooring and turned right and straight into our first lock, Pryford Lock. There were plenty of Gongoozlers out side the Anchor pub. Apparently Pryford is pronounced Parford locally.

The styles of summerhouse seemed to have changed over the years. This one dates back to the 1600's near Walsham flood lock. It was once owned by the Lord Chancellor Francis Egerton. John Donne, a secretary of Francis Egerston's son Thomas, managed to woo a lonely heiress of the family in this summer house and after becoming married they actually lived her at Pryford Place.

There is a guided walk along this stretch of the canal that takes in the carved wooden 'sculpture' that have been erected along the way. We saw this pike and an otter, that scared Helen half to death when I pointed it out to her.

This boat, 'Trevor' was sticking out a little but was in no way was she causing problems. The lady of the boat poked her head out and apologised telling us that they were just having to wait for something to cool down'. She is steam driven so I hope it didn't cool down too much. Hot work on a day like this I should say.

The lock cottage at Walsham Flood Lock seemed very nice in deed.

Newark Priory was an Augustine one that was established 1189 and 1199 and was dedicated to the Virgin Mark and Thomas Beckett. It was finished by Henry VIII Reformation in 1538. it is a lovely backdrop to Newark Lock.

A single handed peeled off his mooring as we sailed by and we accompanied him up Newark and Papercourt Locks. he was heading for Godalming.

This was the biggest Kingfishe I have ever seen. Such a shame that it wasn't a real one.

We saw that there were moorings by Highbridge foot bridge and pulled over for the day. We had decided that we were going to celebrate my home coming by visiting a pub and the New In was close  by. I had a couple of pints of Hogsback Brewery T.E.A. It hardly touched the side. The food looked good too, but we walked back to the boat for double salad, veg followed by fruit!

No comments: